Smart wires corporate social responsibility policy
At Smart Wires, our mission is to save the planet by maximizing the utilization of existing grids, but our daily goal is to make sure everyone involved goes home safely every day. We work closely with all of our stakeholders to ensure that every aspect of our business is carried out in a responsible manner.
We seek to continuously improve the way that we conduct our business activities to ensure we consistently meet and exceed the high standards we set for ourselves. As we enter new contracts with customers across the world, we endeavor to continuously implement the best practices we come across into our own policies and processes.
Our team is committed to ensuring that we remain a socially, ethically, and environmentally responsible company, and we encourage every link in our supply chain to do the same. We feel very much a part of every community that we interact with and are committed to bringing a positive impact with each interaction. Our business activities can directly help progress social, sustainable, and economic change for who we serve and so we will continue to make every effort to be involved for the good of our planet.
CSR is an important part of our business ethos and we encourage other companies we interact with to embrace the principles in this document. In particular, we use commercially reasonable efforts to procure from suppliers that adhere to our CSR policy.
Our Core Values
At Smart Wires, we are passionate about creating a culture that empowers our team members to make good decisions, based on our 11 Guiding Principles:
- Safety – You value human life and health above all else and take action accordingly to maintain the safety of products, team members, customers, workplace and our community.
- Judgment – You make wise strategic decisions despite ambiguity and have “Customer Focus” in your DNA. You are quick to admit mistakes, and are careful never to be the highest level team member that knew about a potential problem.
- Communication – You listen well, instead of reacting fast, so you can better understand, and you treat people with respect independent of their status or disagreement with you. You’re constantly asking for feedback.
- Impact – You take smart risks, but you seek guidance when (a) the guidance is fairly low cost, or (b) when the risk could be high.
- Curiosity – You seek to rapidly understand our strategy, market, regulatory structure and suppliers.
- Innovation – You challenge prevailing assumptions when warranted, and suggest better ideas, and you are open to others improving your ideas.
- Selflessness – You seek what is best for Smart Wires, rather than yourself. You are ego-less and without a political agenda when searching for the best ideas. You share information openly and proactively.
- Passion – You inspire others with your thirst for excellence and your desire to make Smart Wires successful. You celebrate wins, especially those created by others and make them feel appreciated.
- Integrity – You are known for candor and directness, and you’re non-political when you disagree with others. You embrace our goal of providing unmatched transparency with customers, suppliers, partners, and each other.
- Courage – You say what you think even if it is controversial, but you are strategic about how you provide your input. Perhaps most importantly, you are quick and clear in questioning any action inconsistent with our values.
- Do No Harm to the Grid – Take every reasonable precaution to ensure that the grid is never harmed by our devices. Beyond our devices, when we recognize a risk to the grid, we must share this insight (in the most consultative and appropriate way) with our partners that own and manage the grid.
We believe that the health and welfare of society starts with each individual contributor and these Guiding Principles help each person to make the best decision for all stakeholders. We publish our Guiding Principles on our website and encourage all of our stakeholders to respect these values.
Our Health and Safety Management System plays a vital role in ensuring that all of our stakeholders remain safe and well at all times. We meet and exceed all applicable Federal, State, and Local safety regulations as administered in the state of California by Cal / OSHA, and other jurisdictions where applicable. We abide by all local safety regulations when we are working in other countries.
We will update and improve our safety policies as we continue to engage with new customers across the world. We regularly complete third party safety assessments and update our documented Health and Safety Management System accordingly. Our executive leadership recognizes the importance of safety, as reflected in our corporate core values, and supports our efforts to continuously develop our safety policies.
Through continual improvement of these policies we strive to guarantee the safety of our team members, contractors, supply chain partners and the public at all times.
We are a socially and ethically responsible company which is reflected in our dedication to preventing unethical practices in our own activities, or those carried out by any of our supply chain partners or contractors. We promote a culture of zero tolerance to any behaviors that violate human rights.
By abiding by Federal, State and Local employment laws, we ensure that all of our employees and contractors have access to a safe working environment that promotes inclusivity, equality, respect, pride and collaboration. This ensures that are employees and contractors are empowered to make a positive impact on a daily basis, when working with both internal and external stakeholders. As our operations expand across the world, we strive to ensure that we meet all applicable local employment and ethical standards.
We are committed to ensuring that we prevent any unethical practices, such as the use of unethical or forced labor, particularly child labor, human trafficking or any other violation of human rights, bribery, corruption, or fraud either within our company or within our supply chain. Within our company we implement this through our Guiding Principles and internal Code of Conduct policies.
We recognize that our supply chain partners have an important role to play in ensuring that we remain a socially and ethically responsible company. We consider the ethical standards upheld by potential suppliers during the Supplier Selection process and select suppliers that meet these standards.
As our world continues to evolve, so has the need for environmental sustainability. The direction to a more sustainable future guides us to develop, build and distribute tools that our partners can use to deliver safe and reliable energy to their customers. We are focused on working as a team to generate new ideas, insight and opportunities to create value for our customers and partners, as well as ultimately benefit the health of the planet.
Our Environmental Management System Manual ensures that we continuously monitor, review and improve our activities in order to minimize our environmental impact. We always consider environmental sustainability when reviewing our company policies and in decision-making through:
- Implementing an environmental management system that is aligned with ISO 14001.
- Implementing an environmental strategy including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, the enhancement of our local area for the benefit of communities and the environment, the use of renewable resources where feasible and the reduction of pollution that results from our activities.
- Protecting Natural Resources by making efficient use of Natural Resources in our own operations.
- Improving our products’ design using sustainable materials, & recycling to use resources as efficiently as possible.
- Reducing fossil fuel dependence by creating products that promote renewable generation.
- Empowering our employees with the resources necessary to understand our environmental standards. At Smart Wires, we are passionate about increasing the level of renewables connected to the electricity grid to support the energy transition. Our core products enable electricity utilities to maximize the utilization of their existing grid to connect more low-cost clean energy such as hydro, wind and solar, to replace some of the power from high-cost generation plants that burn fossil fuels. Our approach to designing, manufacturing and installing our products minimizes the impact of our projects on local communities and the surrounding area.
Our sustainability commitment is shaped by California’s regulatory and public policy priorities. For example, the state’s target of 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 compared to 1990 levels and a new statewide goal to achieve carbon neutrality by 2045. We strive to meet and exceed the environmental targets set by governing authorities not only in California, but also in every location we operate.
Communicating our Progress
Sustainability and corporate responsibility is a process of continual improvement. Smart Wires is committed to being open to new opportunities and considerations to contribute to the health and welfare of society. We are looking into joining interest groups focused on CSR and sustainability in order to benefit from the shared learnings of other similar companies on these topics. We will hold ourselves accountable and report on our performance of these topics and be transparent with our progress. It is our hope to have this information publicly available in order to show where Smart Wires is excelling and what opportunities we have to strengthen our performance.
Read Our: Modern Slavery Statement